Sunday, October 12, 2008

Eviction Moratorium in Cook County Illinois

Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart took an interesting position this week, announcing that his department would no longer enforce evictions for properties in foreclosure. This includes single homes, apartments and condominiums in Chicago and the near suburbs. While it appears that the decision was influenced by some issues with evictions in the Albany Park neighborhood that were brought to his attention, none the less, Dart appears to have focused on community distress rather than business interests.

I have to admit I'm a bit torn. Is this what it seems to be on the surface, or is it another calculated political move? I hate to be so cynical, but Chicago politics being what the are, cynicism is as much a self-defense mechanism as anti-bodies in the blood stream.

For now, I'm going to give Sheriff Dart the benefit of the doubt, primarily because he was reacting to a real problem brought to him by the Albany Park Community Council. My real test for his department is how they will react when the bankers challenge his decision in courts. Will he put up a spirited defense of his actions, or will he "let it go", and simply use this in a future political race as evidence of his support of the people.

What do you think?

Daryle

1 comment:

The Wine Whore said...

This is definitely an interesting topic! I am torn on this one... I hate to see people evicted from their homes but I also hate to see people getting special priviledges.